Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dealing with Little Sickies



Today is the first day of Autumn! I'm so excited! This is my favorite season filled with wonderful holidays and cool air. But with the good always comes some bad and that means it is also flu season! ;( My little caught the bug this past weekend, not sure from where but I think I can safely blame it on him mimicking my mom's dog, licking everything and everyone. Don't ask me why he does this but he literally comes up to me and David and  licks out  faces, knees and even licks his own shoes! You can tell the stubborn child "No! Dirrrrty!" a million times and he'll do it even more while he stares into your eyes like "dare me to mommy?!" hahaha. Oh the life of a parent.

So I wanted to give you all some maybe helpful tips that may help with dealing with sick babies/ children.

Pictured above are some of my essentials for dealing with sick Noah.

1. Vick's  Humidifier
We recently got this and I love it. It's very easy to use! It helps reduce congestion by letting cool air run. It's great! When Noah got his firtst little cold, we didn't have one of these so we turned on hot water in our shower and let it run while we sat in there with the door closed holding Noah. It was very uncomfortable and not a great feeling.
With this humidifier I just put it next to our bed (we cosleep) and let it run while Noah sleeps.

2, Nose Frida 

Okay, okay, I know a lot of people see this and gag at the thought of sucking your child's mucus out with your mouth....But it's really not horrid like everyone may think. Their boogers NEVER reach the inside of your mouth, so No, you cannot taste it or anything. There is a filter in the tubing that you can remove to replace but honestly, the mucus stays at the tip of the tube so all you need to do is rinse them out. Noah has never been a fan of this or having anything go in his nose but it works WAaaaayyyy better the the bulb. A+
3. Vicks Vapor Rub 

Funny story: Spanish was my first language and only language until Kindergarten. I grew up thinking some things were said a certain way when in reality I was taught those words in the accent of my grandma or mom and dad, this being one of them. When I married David, one of got sick and I told him to get the " Vicks Vah Poor roo".... translation : Vicks Vapor Rub. All my life I thought that's what that little jar was called "Vicks Vah Poor roo!" His response "Come again?" hahahahaha I described to him what I was talking about and he's like ohhhhh! Vick's vapor rub! hahahahah! I Never knew .... I Can't believe after twenty years I just figured that out. I blame my mom and dad lol. 

Anywho, I rub vicks on Noah's feet and cover them with socks before bed and after a bath. This will help tone down the coughing and congestion. 

4. Thermometer

You want to keep a close eye on that temperature those first couple of nights. Make sure their temperature does not exceed 101. The books say to take them to the hospital at 103 but if you ask me that's cutting it way too close for my comfort level. At 104 they can have severe brain damage or worse. I make sure to keep a wet cool wash cloth nearby to put on his head if needed and We leave our fan going at night. 

5, Kleenex

For obvious reasons. The other day I had to go to Walmart for groceries and I had to take Noah with me and totally forgot to bring kleenex! Can you say ew?! Needless to say I dealt with a crying snotty baby crying more because his brain was coming out of his nose. So I had to do what anyone else would've done, use his shirt.. we left store with his shirt covered in dry disgusting boogers. yummy... 

6. Eco baby Lavender oil


By far my favorite lavender oil for Noah. Found it at TJ MAXX for 6.00 dollars. I love to massage his chest, legs and back with it after his bath. It helps relax him and since this is a part of his night time routine it reminds him it's time to wind down. 

7. Blankie and Pajamas

When he's sick, I make sure he wears pajamas to keep his chest covered from the cold at night. A warm blankie is also good but make sure it doesn't make him too hot. I like to use our chevron knitted blanket to keep him warm but not sweaty. 


Daddy gave Noah a haircut... never again... ;/


Alright so there you have it! I hope your littles avoid getting sick this season and if they do I hope these are helpful useful tips! 

Happy Autumn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment